Are you serious about learning to play guitar? Many guitar players that have played for a while have yet to really get a handle on their playing ability. They appear to get caught up in a rut, which can seem virtually impossible to climb out of. Many of us simply don't have the time to invest or are unwilling to get the proper guitar training. By human nature, many players tend to take the easy way out by playing what they already know during there practice sessions.
Although I am not suggesting that playing what you already know is a bad thing; we all do need to polish what we already know from time to time. Besides, the whole purpose of playing guitar is to have fun, Sikkens stain and what fun is it to study theory or practice some scales that do not even sound musical. What I am saying is that we as guitar players need to strike a balance, and make the most of our practice time if we ever expect to get any better at our craft. Stepping outside of our comfort zone and learning something new can be exhilarating as well as beneficial.
I for example was one of these players who for a long time stayed in a guitar playing rut. For years I would endlessly practice the few riffs and tunes that I already knew how to play, never really leaving my comfort zone. Granted, I did get quite good at what I already knew, but I felt genuinely unfulfilled and dissatisfied in my guitar playing ability. It was not until I took my guitar training serious that I seen any progress at all. In fact, allocating some time in each practice session for learning something new actually made it more interesting and enjoyable. At times my guitar playing skill seemed as though it would take a quantum leap.
If you are serious about expanding your playing capability then you will need to take command of your guitar training. Make an honest effort to learn something new each and every practice session. Learning to play tunes of other guitarist, although is great at getting technique down, will not help you to truly master the guitar. You will need to do some serious guitar training, exercises and study of theory. Dedicating at least half of your sessions to learning some music theory, scales, or physical runs on the fretboard will help you in the long haul.
Remember that going that extra mile with some guitar training beyond your comfort zone will dramatically improve your playing. Have a good time because, "all work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy", but always add in your homework assignments into your practice routine if you are serious about taking it to the next level.
If you are really looking to take your playing to the next level with some serious guitar training , John Moretti has free tips, lessons and reviews just for you! John has been a session guitar player and teacher for over 23 years, covering a wide range of guitar playing from jazz and blues to country and heavy metal. Check out
No comments:
Post a Comment